Upgrade Your Oral Hygiene

If you’re like most patients, you’ve probably heard that you should be brushing twice and flossing once daily. This is a great start, but to really keep your teeth in the best possible condition, you might want to try some of these tips to make your professional cleaning last longer between visits!

Try an electric toothbrush. Electric toothbrushes can be more effective than a standard toothbrush if used correctly. Rather than using the motion of your arm and hand to brush your teeth, the electric model uses very rapid, tiny vibrations to do the cleaning for you. Electric toothbrushes can be more effective in removing plaque and calcium buildup, and many include a built-in timer to make sure you brush for the right amount of time.

If you have been warned that you brush too hard, consider trying a WaterPik. This tool uses water to clean the teeth and gumline so that you don’t need to use an abrasive brush to clean your teeth. The WaterPik is also a tool for reluctant flossers because the forcible stream of water acts much like floss and reaches hidden areas between teeth very effectively.

Be a master flosser. Regular daily flossing is perhaps the most important part of a good dental health regime. While toothbrushes can only reach about 60% of your tooth surfaces, flossing effectively removes the plaque and debris from the remaining 40%. It’s important to floss correctly to get the most benefit. Use a C-shape when flossing and be sure to get under the gums. You want to be careful not to floss too aggressively to prevent damage to the gums. Feel free to ask your dental hygienist to teach you the best way to floss.

Always rinse after flossing. Flossing daily is a great way to keep your teeth healthy, but make sure you get the most out of the practice by rinsing thoroughly after you’re done. Even if you are flossing without brushing after a meal, be sure to rinse and flush your mouth to remove any debris or bacteria you have loosened in the process. Rinsing with a fluoride rinse can further maximize the benefits of flossing by helping to protect and repair your teeth.

Keep a toothbrush handy. It happens to us all – you go out to lunch and come back to work with spinach in your teeth and a nasty case of garlic breath. Not only will this decrease your chances of selling to that particular client, but it can also cause damage to your teeth and gums. Keep a toothbrush in your purse or in your office desk to remove particles of food in an emergency.

Remember to take care of your tongue. Your tongue can harbor millions of bacteria that contribute to bad breath and plaque buildup. Brush your tongue once a day very gently to remove bacteria. Mouthwash is also an effective way to keep bacteria in the mouth under control and freshen your breath. Use a mouthwash that includes fluoride to keep your teeth strong and make your whole mouth healthier.

Including these habits in your daily dental hygiene routine will keep your mouth healthier and help you to prevent dental problems, making your visits to our office easier and more enjoyable. If you have any questions about what type of products to use or how to use them, call us at Downtown Dental or ask your hygienist and we’ll be happy to help!